You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-23 19:02:30

iMic
Administrator
Website

OS 9 Universal Installer CD (For Later & Unsupported Macs)

Almost as soon as we successfully booted Mac OS 9 on an unsupported machine, the question has been whether we could incorporate the necessary fixes and enhancements into a production system for end users.

With permission from the MacOS9Lives community, we are making this system available to members in the form of a complete installation CD for Macintosh computers. This installation disc contains the complete operating system with all available driver and extensions updates. It incorporates Mac OS CPU Software 5.9, Mac OS ROM v10.2.1 (Generic) * and Graphics Extension Updates from 10.2002.

* The v10.2.1 (Generic) ROM overlooks machine and model identifiers, allowing it to boot on most models of Macintosh, including those that identify themselves as MacRISC3 (OS X only) and MacRISC4 (G5) machines. This doesn't however guarantee it will run successfully on those models.

I would like to thank DieHard on the MacOS9Lives discussion forum for compiling this disc.

Compatibility

This version facilitates installation on machines that require machine-specific installation media, such as the Power Macintosh G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) and possibly notebooks like PowerBook G4 (Titanium, 1GHz).

In addition, it provides support for some machines that were previously considered to be Mac OS X only models, such as the Power Macintosh G4 (FW 800). Please be aware that some hardware, such as AirPort Extreme cards, will be unsupported in Mac OS 9. USB 2.0 ports will operate at USB 1.1 speeds and FireWire 800 ports will run at FireWire 400 speeds while running OS 9 on these machines.

Release Notes

Please note that installation of the software uses Apple Software Restore instead of a standard installation assistant. If the target drive does not already contain Mac OS 9 hard disk drivers, it is required that you run Drive Setup and configure the drive accordingly to make the target drive bootable (data will be erased).

The default setting in Apple Software Restore is to erase the target drive first, however if the drive already contains a Mac OS 9 system, you can choose to Restore in Place (overwrite existing files with matching filenames) or Restore and Save Original Items (archives existing items with matching filenames) instead. Please ensure to check these settings before installing.

Specific files can be extracted from the MacOS9LivesMR.img image using Disk Copy, either from an existing OS 9 system or while started from the installation CD.

Download

https://www.adrive.com/public/DcF6Ku/Ma … %20G4s.iso (556.1MB)

* This installation media is not hosted by ThinkClassic and is provided to this community with permission from MacOS9Lives. We request that users respect their bandwidth and keep this link within these respective communities. Of course once we have confirmation that we have the server resources available, we'll expand this release to the wider Mac community as well.

Resident Professor of Alternative Methodology
Faculty of Macintosh Restorations & Modifications - "It works, let's fix it!"

#2 2014-12-23 19:28:20

Eudimorphodon

Re: OS 9 Universal Installer CD (For Later & Unsupported Macs)

So... leading question, is this CD *only* appropriate for "special needs" machines or might it be useful on, say, a B&W as well? (I ask because I know of one which has a "horked" OS 9 installation; said installation is actually just a drag-and-drop of the "enable classic" package for some later Powerbook and seems to be missing some bits.)

Flap Different.

#3 2014-12-23 19:33:40

iMic
Administrator
Website

I believe it's a complete system including a full set of extensions, so it should work on the B&W. That said, I don't have a machine of that series to test it on, so I haven't been able to personally confirm this.

#4 2014-12-23 20:49:27

Eudimorphodon

Maybe I'll try it just for science's sake, assuming the PRAM battery hasn't eaten a hole in the B&W's MB or something. (Been a *long* time since I turned it on.) Also curious if the video update you added to this supports the oddball Radeon 7000 card that's in it. (The machine has an Apple OEM Radeon 7000 card that was the optional video support for Xserve G5 servers. OS X works fine with it but the OS 9 on there just sort of drooled at it, even after I attempted to install some sort of video driver update... again, been a long time and I don't know if the issue was with the driver update or the underlying OS 9. It's very possible the card identifies itself as something other than a true-blue retail-box Radeon 7000 "Mac edition"; it *only* has a VGA port, no DVI or S-Video.)

Last edited by Eudimorphodon (2014-12-23 20:51:12)

Flap Different.

#5 2014-12-23 23:11:34

jt

I downloaded and made two coasters from the universal 9.2.2 install. hmm

#6 2014-12-23 23:27:45

iMic
Administrator
Website

Ouch. That doesn't sound good. What OS / Machine / Burning Utility, out of curiosity? I did notice that OS X reports issues with the image, but then it mounts successfully and reads without issue. I'll see if I can find another blank disc and test it out later today. If there is an issue, I'll pass it back up the chain to have it addressed.

#7 2014-12-23 23:53:55

jt

I downloaded it on the netbook and decided it would be easier to do so on the PBG4/1.33GHz. Unstuffed OK, but when I went to burn it under Toast Titanium(? couldn't find my media so I installed a "bckup") it showed up as an untitled folder with the boot CD inside in Toast's "drag it here" window.

The ISO shows up in the untitled folder on the QS'02 under 9.2.2/9.01. Same behavior on the QS under Toast Titanium 5.0.1

Mot exactly coasters, but I haven't been able to burn a bootable CD yet.

Last edited by jt (2014-12-23 23:57:35)

#8 2014-12-24 00:46:37

ClassicHasClass
Website

I did notice that OS X reports issues with the image, but then it mounts successfully and reads without issue.

OS X often does that on old files or images of older folders with lots of resource data. It means nothing.

#9 2014-12-24 01:56:29

macdrone

Ok I'll interject here.  With any burn utility you must find OS 9 boot block and make sure it's enabled.  Also hard drive must be formatted by OS 9 compatible utility and also be bootable.

These are key for MDD and others.  I like the idea of 9 on unsupported macs but with a MDD I have no plan on doing that.

I know OS 9 is more finicky than OS 8 on booting burned disks so just be careful.

#10 2014-12-24 02:07:54

ClassicHasClass
Website

That's not the issue. The .iso has the boot blocks in it by definition; I just burned it with Simply Burns on my 10.4 G5 and it worked.

In fact, it boots my thoroughly unsupported 2003 15" 1GHz USB 2.0 iMac G4 just fine. I'm tempted to try on the iBook G4/1.33 when I'm home over the holidays. Nice work except I HATE your default theme. tongue

#11 2014-12-24 03:09:43

iMic
Administrator
Website

About to run this finished image through a machine myself. I'll report back once I have further information.

#12 2014-12-24 04:13:36

iMic
Administrator
Website

Burning (Disk Utility)

This method worked brilliantly for me on the first attempt. Open Disk Utility and drag the Mac OS 9.2.2 Unsupported G4s.iso file to the source list.

Screen_shot_2014_12_25_at_12_28_17_AM.jpg

Select the Disk Image in the source list and click Burn.

Screen_shot_2014_12_25_at_12_28_38_AM.jpg

Personally I select 8x recording speed, but all you really need to do now is click Burn and let the Mac do its thing. When it's completed, the disk will be ready to boot your older Mac.

Screen_shot_2014_12_25_at_12_29_10_AM.jpg

Installation

The installation system is customised with a different appearance. The MacOS9Lives community seems to like branding their installation media with the community name and some visual tweaks, however this doesn't extend to the installed system. (I like Mac OS to look as standard as possible.)

IMG_7617.jpg

When the installation system has booted from CD, you are automatically presented with Drive Setup to create new partitions and initialise drives with the Mac OS 9 hard disk drivers.

IMG_7618.jpg

With the drive partitioned and initialised, you can proceed to the Apple Software Restore application in the root of the CD to install the Mac OS. The MacOS9LivesMR.img source image is selected by default. Erase before restoring is selected by default, however if the volume is already blank or you're overwriting/archiving an existing Mac OS installation, you can select one of the other two options as well. Then click Restore to start the process.

IMG_7619.jpg

The entire system only took a few minutes to copy on my iBook G4.

IMG_7620.jpg

If you're erasing the destination volume during installation, it will rename the target volume to MacOS9Lives. Personally I would have preferred a standard issue Macintosh HD, but I was able to rename it back immediately after with no ill effects.

IMG_7621.jpg

Finished

The completed installation of Mac OS is a standard issue system. It looks, feels and sounds exactly like a standard Mac OS install fresh from the installer discs would. You're even presented with the Setup Assistant.

IMG_7622.jpg

Perhaps the only truly noticeable difference is in About This Mac and System Profiler, where the Mac OS ROM version is 10.2.1 (Generic). The Generic in the version number was something I added to distinguish it from the standard 10.2.1 ROM.

IMG_7623.jpg

macdrone wrote:

Ok I'll interject here.  With any burn utility you must find OS 9 boot block and make sure it's enabled.  Also hard drive must be formatted by OS 9 compatible utility and also be bootable.

These are key for MDD and others.  I like the idea of 9 on unsupported macs but with a MDD I have no plan on doing that.

I know OS 9 is more finicky than OS 8 on booting burned disks so just be careful.

The image has been prepared for booting, and as demonstrated, a simple one-click burn in Disk Utility is all that's needed to produce a working disc.

Drive Setup on the installation disc can initialise the destination hard drive with Mac OS 9 disk drivers, even on newer machines like the Power Mac G4 (MDD/FW800) and iBook G4. It's no more difficult than preparing an OS 9 supported Mac for installation on a clean drive.

#13 2015-01-26 11:40:25

Pascal 77

Hi everybody,

In first, pardon me for my bad english, I will try to be explicit as much as possible.

I have four Mac G4 normally without possibility of startup under Mac OS 9 : a PowerMac G4 Fw800 2x1,42 Ghz, an iMac G4 "USB2" 15" 1 Ghz, a PowerBook G4 12" 1,33 Ghz and an iBook G4 "late 2004" 12" 1,2 Ghz.

I had downloaded the disk image, and burned it on a CD RW, and with a Firewire hard disk connected on my PowerMac, I followed the procedure and installed Mac OS 9 on the Firewire Disk (after having formatted it from the CD).

When the Firewire disk is connected on my PowerMac or my iMac, I can startup them under Mac OS 9.2.2, it's work fine, but, on my PowerBook or my iBook, there is nothing to do, when I startup them with the "option" key down, I see the Fw disk and the CD in the possibles startup disk list on the screen, but if I select one of them, the laptops does'nt startup, their screens display a light grey solid pattern and nothing any more moves, I must force a re-start.

that's not awkward, I have three others laptops capables to startup under Mac OS 9 (a Pismo, and two Titaniums, one VGA 550 and one DVI 1 Ghz … I collect the old laptops Apple, and I have many others older laptops wink), but I don't understand … and I don't like it neutral wink

If anybody have an idea about that, I will be happy if he share it with us.

Thank you

Last edited by Pascal 77 (2015-01-26 12:32:58)

#14 2015-01-26 20:29:35

iMic
Administrator
Website

For those machines, it's likely you will need to fake the CPU version to boot into Mac OS 9.

Power on the computer while holding Command + Option + O + F to boot into Open Firmware.

When at the Open Firmware prompt, type the following - pressing return after each line:

nvedit

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0

80010201 encode-int " cpu-version" property

After the last line, press Ctrl + C. This exits the nvram editor (nvedit).

Then type, pressing return after each line:

nvstore 

setenv use-nvramrc? true

reset-all

The computer will restart.

This saves the entered commands into the NVRAM, so as long as the NVRAM/PRAM isn't reset (which can occur if the PRAM is force reset, the PRAM battery is low or the main system battery is removed) the computer should execute this automatically on startup.

If a problem occurs, just force reset the NVRAM/PRAM (Command + Option + P + R while powering on the computer.

After the computer restarts, try booting from the CD as usual.

If you install OS 9 to the hard disk from this CD, before you reboot after installing Mac OS 9, navigate to the HD > System Folder > Extensions folder and trash the Multiprocessing folder first as the extensions in that folder can prevent OS 9 from starting up on some newer machines that require the CPU version trick.

#15 2015-01-30 12:19:43

Pascal 77

Thank you, I will try this method ant I will return to give the feed back.

In thanks of your help, I can give you a method (three, in fact, for different models) to boot a Mac PPC on an USB disk, but it's in french, could you translate it ? My english is'nt good enough so that I do it myself.

EDIT : Ok, I tested it on my iBook G4, it work fine, I could boot it on the CD.

Last edited by Pascal 77 (2015-01-30 13:44:29)

#16 2015-07-29 17:39:41

forgiste

How about booting this ISO from a USB stick?  I have used another persons guide to booting USB and have restored your image to a USB and tried numerous other methods but still no luck.  Could it be that my iBook G4 cannot boot USB?  All of the commands work it just takes me to a prohibitionary symbol when trying to boot USB.  I even tried booting a 10.3 Panther image the same way and it did the same thing.

Last edited by forgiste (2015-07-29 22:42:00)

#17 2015-07-29 18:07:06

ClassicHasClass
Website

What were the exact Open Firmware boot command(s) you used?

#18 2015-07-29 18:18:21

forgiste

I was following this guide:  http://ben-collins.blogspot.com/2010/08 … stick.html

I get more success when I skip the first command and follow through with the dev usb0 etc.  Either way however, it wont boot.  At one point I was able to get the checksum error that he shows a picture of in the original article.  I also changed my machine ID to powermac4,3 from 6,5, but I didn't store it.

Last edited by forgiste (2015-07-29 22:42:26)

#19 2015-07-29 21:48:26

forgiste

Okay guys I bought a CD R and couldn't burn it in my macbook, so I burned it using IMGBurn on windows.  I can now see the MacOS9Lives icon when I hold 'Option' on boot on my iBook G4 (PowerMac6,5).  However, if I choose it or if I hold 'C' on boot, either way, it takes me to a gray screen.  Previously, when trying the USB stick, I had modified the machine ID and added MacRISC2 and 3, but I didn't nvstore it.  Do I need to do anything again in OpenFirmware to get this to boot up?

#20 2015-07-29 22:41:05

forgiste

Sorry for all the posts.  I tried the NVRAM hack mentioned above, and now im up and running OS9 on my iBook G4!   I am however having the multi display bug which is sticking me at 640x480 on the built in.  Im reading backwards to find out how you fixed that.

#21 2015-07-30 00:27:00

forgiste

Okay I installed the r1 version for ibook g4.  You fixed the resolution but now my backlight is all the way off and they keys to adjust it aren't working.

#22 2015-07-30 02:15:13

forgiste

Last post.  I am now working with the r1 ROM.  I had to use a flashlight, go to the monitors control panel, and *lower* the brightness!  Brightness controls are reversed.

#23 2015-08-11 00:31:26

klav

Great work you have done!.  Thanks to provided info. I was able to install OS9 from the "Mac OS 9.2.2 Unsupported G4s.iso" on a Powerbook G4 model Powerbook6,1.  I could only get sound to work while headphones are plugged into the headphone jack. When plugged in, sound plays out headphones and external speakers at the same time! But it works. 

I was also able to install the Unsupported G4s.iso on an Ibook G4 model Powerbook6,5.  This time, I had to perform your suggested edits to NVRAM (mentioned above) before it would boot.  After that I was able to boot and install.  Removed the Multiprocessing folder from Extensions folder after install or else booting would stall.  Booted up finally and the screen size was not showing up correctly, it was too small.  Finally got the screen size back to normal after installing the ATI Via Driver file from your Macintosh ROM 10.2.1r1 iBook rom package.  Disable ATI Video Accelerator extension since it would start.   I also had to remove "Remote Access" control panel for it to boot completely.

Thank you!

k

#24 2016-10-16 19:23:18

Schmoburger
Website

Is this available elsewhere now? The original link provided in the first post says the iso is no longer publiclly available from that source sad

Stay hungry... Stay foolish.
G5 2.0DC, Yikes G4/500 Sonnet-Enhanced, B+W G3/450, 9600/200MP, 7600/200, iMacs DVSE Graphite and 600 Snow, 7220/200, WGS 7350/180, 6360/160, 5500/250 DE, Pismo, 2x Lombards, 6100/66DOS, 2x CC's, 3x Pluses, 512K, SE/30, SE Superdrive, 2x Classics, IIvx, IIci, IIsi, 3x LC520, 4x LC575, 5x P580, LC, LCIII, //gs LE, 2x ROM 02 //gs', IIe... and I'm outta characters!

#25 2017-04-21 02:50:03

uniserver
Website

so OS9 on a G4 Mac Mini ?  :-)   this still sounds like a ultra neet-o idea smile

wonder if big mess of wires feels like taming this beast?

#I Re-Cap √Mac √NeTX √Amiga Boards - A/B - PSU# (MacCaps.com)  Modern SCSI HD's - For Old Macs - Pre Cfg'd - 10k RPM! 73gb!! $50 + free shipping  -- Mac 128K Re-Ram kits (16 Chips) $35 + shipping, Floppy Issues?-> Bourns Filter Solution 128k - SE/30, $16 + shipping

Board footer

About ThinkClassic

ThinkClassic specialises in the maintenance, repair, restoration and modification of Vintage Apple and Macintosh computers. Ask questions and find answers about classic Apple desktops, laptops, accessories and peripherals.