You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-30 19:25:55

jt

PExProjRedux_II: the inevitable 2kTeens franchise reboot . .

.  .  .  what's good for the Terminator is good for the  .  .  .  erm  .  .  .  whatever current gen hottie they cast in opposition?

There are many previous iterations of the PEx topic which were the inspiration for my MLA PExProjRedux mk.1 topic over at the barracks. A reboot in a ROMmangling tolerant venue is a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be outlining the current state of affairs in edits to this post and listing reference topics in the next as I re-locate them.

First order of business: ROM dump utilities for PEx/9600 running under Mac OS 8.5 needed. wink

#2 2014-12-30 19:39:09

jt

Re: PExProjRedux_II: the inevitable 2kTeens franchise reboot . .

haplain's never-ending quest: post 236685: haplain: 30 June 2014

PowerExpress - PowerMac 9700: Applefritter: jimjamyahauk: 28 January 2011

PExProjRedux: Applefritter: Trash80toHP_Mini / jt: 02 June 2010

Booting and gray screen... jimjamyahauk: 02 Mar 02 2009

PEX Revisited Part III: jimjamyahauk: 22 October 2008

DigiBarn Systems:Apple Macintosh PowerExpress (prototype) .  .  . and comments from Mark Crutchfield (May 2006):

PowerExpress Revisited: Applefritter: Hawaii Cruiser: 21 January 2005

PowerExpress Manhattan Prototype: Captain_Z: June(?) 2004

PowerExpress: Boot Chime: Captain_Z: 18 June 2004

IIfx Case Hack: Feedback Request: Applefritter: Trash80toG-4 / jt: 19 Dec 2003

PowerExpress Captain_Z: 8 December 2003

More to be posted on an as found basis: additions welcome! wink

*** related/unexplored Google hits  .  .  .

*** peripherally related conquest info (PEx Manhattan)

Last edited by jt (2015-01-05 02:32:48)

#3 2014-12-31 01:56:09

MJ313

jt wrote:

There are many previous iterations of the PEx topic which were the inspiration for my MLA PExProjRedux mk.1 topic over at the barracks.

Geez, I only got this far and got sucked down the rabbit hole that was the Big@$$BoxLotConsortium™
What a headache. I need to go take some Advil and come back after it's kicked in, to finally catch up on PEx.

I had no idea PlasticDrawerHack™ was really a plastic drawer. I mean, I guess that seemed too easy. LOFL.

EDIT/
I still haven't made it all the way through the BABLCon™ thread. I'm trying. It's trying. Is your PEx the same one Captain Z references? This is quite dramatic.

Last edited by MJ313 (2015-01-02 16:53:58)

#4 2015-01-02 17:04:51

jt

LOL! lol I see what you mean. I got about as far as I really wanted to in reading it. But in retrospect, if my spherically correct, Prototype Paladin KBD and this bare Batch A - EVTA ProtoPEx_MoBo liberation on a $125+ shot in the dark was described as being  .  .  .

.  .  .  "content with small wealth" might have turned out to having been just a bit understated. smile

edit - Pix are in the pipeline.

edit: 01.03.05 first batch up with the rest of the HiRes links and mo'betta' Pix to come.

jtPEx _________________________________________________________________________________

f0kC1s.jpg
full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img673/2397/f0kC1s.jpg

QLHSLv.jpg
full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img540/1069/QLHSLv.jpg

hapPEx ________________________________________________________________________________

WqwCMX.jpg
full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img537/6084/WqwCMX.jpg

tpCJLH.jpg

bthStk.jpg
full size: http://imageshack.com/a/img537/7500/bthStk.jpg

Last edited by jt (2015-01-03 15:10:00)

#5 2015-01-02 17:59:48

jt

I thought I'd post this one just to give you a minor case of the heebie-jeebies, hap. wink
NaVwX3.jpg
hap has graciously sent me the pics above of his operational PEx MoBo and it appears to be a dead ringer for mine (hereafter referred to as jtPEx) in terms of its unpopulated pads in both subsystem blocks.

I now have some hope that a ROMdump from his ProtoPEx might lead to a successful boot of mine, which leads to a few questions:

hapPEx Web Page

EVT level info of the hapPEx___?___
Identity the hapPEx Video Card: _____?_____
Specs of hapPEx Prototype Processor Card:______?_____

trag, do you recall related info on the DigiBarnPEx configuration?

< unsuccessfully attempts to control a major case of the aforementioned malady. roll >

Last edited by jt (2015-01-03 07:07:40)

#6 2015-01-02 18:33:29

jt

I'm just getting started on a very pic-heavy AIO post xPEx image gallery. PExPrefix designations will be used to keep credits and Prototype IDs straight throughout. I'll be roughing in iFrog hosted image gallery content with direct links whilst arranging permissions.

hapPEx pix from his machines page at http://www.alittlebytedifferent.com/

Last edited by jt (2015-01-02 20:02:41)

#7 2015-01-02 19:22:09

MJ313

Wow, 12 years later, that's awesome you might be able to finally get a ROM dump (hopefully from hap?). Did you ever try the G3 Rom? total fail? What PCI Vid card did you wind up using?

I wonder whatever happened to those other PEx's. I wonder if Hap bought Mark Crutchfield's?   Do you think Hap's ROM would work in Captain Z's Manhattan??

I'm loving this sordid, twisted tale. 17 pages of BABLCon™ definitely added a heaping dose of blather and slime to it all.

EDIT: More questions...

From BABLCon™ it looked like there were 3 PEx's and 1 Manhattan. Z and you have 2 of em. Who got the other two?

So it looks like jimjamyahauk dumped the ROM from his back in 2009. But there were questions if it was an accurate code extraction?  Were those fears ever put to rest? Did you ever get the dumped ROM from James? So many questions.... Maybe I should shut up and wait for you to post everything first big_smile

Last edited by MJ313 (2015-01-02 21:07:40)

#8 2015-01-02 20:24:39

jt

IIRC, I haven't seen, nor heard a peep from Z since I got out of the loony bin almost SIX(!!!!?!!!!) years ago now. hmm

hap has graciously offered any assistance he can give for this project. wink

Partial listing of PowerExpress prototypes extant:    last edited 01.06.15

Currently undocumented/status_unknown/unaccounted for:

TiPEx - BoxLot PEx Prototype offered at auction

??PEx - BoxLot PEx Prototype offered at auction by either Ti or Z: AKA the one that got away. neutral

zPEx_Manhattan - CaptainZ
|
--->auctioned? possibly won by:
|
HcPEx - Hawaii Cruiser PEx, badly in need of the new owner's prefix and its status?????
|
--->Definitely auctioned/winner was James.
|
jjah/HcPEx - jimjamyahauk -  AKA James - PEX Revisited Part III  'fritter OP

Mark_CrutchfieldPEx - ????????

afPEx - ? - PowerExpress once documented in the now missing(?) article on 'fritter? - Mystery Owner?

Known operational ProtoPEx units/assemblies of any nature:

DbPEx - Digibarn
hapPEx - haplain -

PEx in progress:

jtPEx - jt: AKA Trash/Oddball/yours truly: Bare BoxLot PEx MoBo. wink

______ it sounds as if jjah/HcPEx - jimjamyahauk's board boots to a certain extent -  awaiting ROM SIMM hackage

- if anyone reading this knows how to get in touch with any PEx owner, please do so. The more input we can organize here the better. Also, any newfound PEx information posted would be much appreciated.

Last edited by jt (2015-01-06 17:41:58)

#9 2015-01-02 22:16:57

jt

MJ313 wrote:

Did you ever try the G3 Rom?

Nope, never had one, but the beige project was a parallel development track, so I can't imagine it booting PEx. The reason for the 9700's cancellation was the higher performance levels garnered in that line of development, or so goes PEx lore. I wonder if there was ever a full fledged six-slot beige behemoth in development? The S(lotslayer)eve's infamous, nefarious, clueless, behind the scenes development meddling? If you're only going to build one tower case (8500/9500) why save on a bit of plastic and sheet metal? Maybe it was Jobs' payback time for content producers having had had the temerity to actually having been USING the (x6!) expansion slot he'd forbidden to be implemented in "his vision" ** and the gall for having kept the Mac alive as a viable platform while he failed miserably at NeXT. ***

What PCI Vid card did you wind up using?

I've yet see video output of any kind, IIRC. Maybe the Radius VidCard Boot screen, dunno. If I have a chance I'll give it a try.

Do you think Hap's ROM would work in Captain Z's Manhattan??

Given the (assumed) 8500/9500 and 8600/9600 compatibilities, one might think so. Howerer, ISTR fairly significant ChipSet variation having been documented betwixt PEx and PEx Manhatttan by Z. Dunno if it amounted to a third development track or not, but I'd hazard a guess at incompatibility while hopong to be wrong about it.

I'm loving this sordid, twisted tale. 17 pages of BABLCon™ definitely added a heaping dose of blather and slime to it all.

While I applaud an appetite for such, you'll have to excuse me if I don't delve any deeper into morasses past. If you'd confirm a dim memory of having fronted the entry fee of some Platinum Fevered little shit and then having been rooked out of a 6100 ProtoMac by said scumb  .  .  .

.  .  .  whatever. roll I don't remember having asked for very much after having given much, but that particular bit still stings a bit. neutral

EDIT: More questions...

From BABLCon™ it looked like there were 3 PEx's and 1 Manhattan. Z and you have 2 of em. Who got the other two?

not a clue. hmm

Working on sorting that all out, see above posted while you were editing.

So it looks like James dumped the ROM from his back in 2009. But there were questions if it was an accurate code extraction? Were those fears ever put to rest? Did you ever get the dumped ROM from James?

no clue/nope.

So many questions.... Maybe I should shut up and wait for you to post everything first big_smile

Please don't! The only reason I've gotten this much accomplished would be the interest and input of yourself and hap. Most of my threads languish for lack of input and the projects suffer the same fate as my excitement fades into detached interest and progress devolves into procrastination.

* NIboSCbM -  jt-ism - Not Invented by or Successfully Co-opted by Myself! Syndrome - anybody who can't get that reference in one  .  .  .  tongue

** Please don't get me started on this one or at least read Folklore and the Apple Timeline before replying. roll

***Anybody who thinks NeXT was any kind of success do to the Steve should really check the timeline above for the departure dates of every other founding member of that venture! Apple saved his @$$, not the other way around. The iMac was already beyond the point of his meddling with much more than that godawful color and such for him to have derailed the comeback of Apple its development team pulled off.

Last edited by jt (2015-01-03 06:26:52)

#10 2015-01-03 04:04:14

mcdermd
Website

Well, regardless of your feelings about Steve Jobs, I'm happy to have gotten a modern NeXTStep out of it. I can guarantee you my interest in Apple as a whole would be reduced (possibly non-existent) if I wasn't using OS X as a primary OS at work and home every day.

Even if I don't comment in your threads, I do read them. The progress is usually pretty interesting to me. The PEx is great because it's a lot of researching the unknown.

Daily Drivers: 27" iMac 2.8 GHz Quad-Core i7 (Late 2009), 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz Quad-Core i5 (Late 2013), 11" Macbook Air 1.6 GHz i5 (Mid-2011)
See the restored heroes here.

#11 2015-01-03 06:06:29

jt

Thanks for reading and contributing, it helps me a lot whenever you do. ***

As for the Jobs thing, I've suffered under the thumbs of SJ's worshipers for far too long. Please check out the resumes of the other founders of NeXT, his "limited Vision" for "his" new company, the radical change in mission and the identities of the actual developers of NeXTStep. Jobs makes a good front man, give real credit for what you love where it's due: Avie Tevanian for NeXTStep at NeXT and OSX at Apple.

I'll give credit where its due. While the iMac saved Apple, not SJ, I'll gladly give Steve Jobs the credit for pulling off one of the greatest business growth schemes ever by developing the iFrastructure of Apple as we know it today, but that was this century, he pulled off NeXT to squat last century, IMO. wink

Jobs killed PEx and foisted an all but slotless MicroTower on the content creators that kept the Mac a viable development platform in Apple's deepest darkest days, 'nuf said.

*** OOPSIE!!!!! You caught me. I stopped myself up short a bit earlier and I was in the process of excising all recent SJ commentary wherever I'd strewn it and compiling the collection for the front bar, if ever. Now I have to let these stand. hmm

I got set off big time at work yesterday morning and I'd read that Jobs cheated the Woz out of $5k back in the Dazed and Confused era, which had set me off as well. It reminded me what an unrelenting, uncaring, dehumanizing, arrogant, selfish, self-aggrandizing asshole  .  .  .  erm  .  .  .  maybe it's more succinctly put that Steve Jobs was a very successful Fortune 50 CEO  .  .  .  those would be high compliments to that particular breed of sub-humanity. big_smile 

I apologize for having been so out of control these last few hours/days/weeks, I'll go back to being quietly manic for now. hmm

Last edited by jt (2015-01-03 06:29:06)

#12 2015-01-03 08:40:17

mcdermd
Website

Like I said, I don't give a shit about Jobs' personal shit but his OS (NeXT/Open/OS Xstep) has been a boon to me personally. Avie got out in '06 because he wanted to enjoy some of his wealth before he worked himself to death.

Daily Drivers: 27" iMac 2.8 GHz Quad-Core i7 (Late 2009), 21.5" iMac 2.7GHz Quad-Core i5 (Late 2013), 11" Macbook Air 1.6 GHz i5 (Mid-2011)
See the restored heroes here.

#13 2015-01-03 13:09:06

iMic
Administrator
Website

jt wrote:

As for the Jobs thing, I've suffered under the thumbs of SJ's worshipers for far too long. Please check out the resumes of the other founders of NeXT, his "limited Vision" for "his" new company, the radical change in mission and the identities of the actual developers of NeXTStep. Jobs makes a good front man, give real credit for what you love where it's due: Avie Tevanian for NeXTStep at NeXT and OSX at Apple.

I have a similar viewpoint on the matter. Internally, Apple had some notable driving forces behind their software strategy. As Chief Technology Officer and SVP of Software Engineering, Avie Tevanian was integral to the development of Mac OS X throughout its early development and several major releases. Bertrand Serlet led the Mac OS X development team from its inception, succeeded Avie as the SVP of Software Engineering and oversaw the development of the Mac OS X Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard operating systems. Scott Forstall oversaw the development of user interfaces in the Mac OS X operating system, including the development of Aqua, and also supervised development of the Safari browser.

All three are former NeXT engineers, each with more valuable contributions to Apple's software strategy than Jobs himself. Steve often receives credit for the accomplishment, however.

Incidentally, some pinpoint the departure of these influential figures as the downward turning point for Apple. Craig Federighi took the reins from Bertrand Serlet and oversaw the development of Mac OS X Lion onwards. Following the controversial departure of Scott Forstall, overseeing iOS development was merged into Federighi's duties, while software design was allocated to Jony Ive's design team. Today, many of the criticisms of Apple stem from software and stability issues or questionable decisions about interface design. I don't believe this is a coincidence.

But I digress.

The story of the Macintosh PowerExpress is one that always intrigued me. I believe I still have CaptainZ's boot chime recordings saved on my local drive somewhere.

Resident Professor of Alternative Methodology
Faculty of Macintosh Restorations & Modifications - "It works, let's fix it!"

#14 2015-01-03 14:07:30

jt

Methinks that front bar topic I mentioned might be well started by cleaning my manic moo poo regarding SJ and your replies out of this PEx Project thread, transplanting it there for what might be a very interesting subject to explore.

Howsaboudit? admin's work to be sure, I like the way they sometimes do Off Topic cleansing over at OS9Lives, but better that we should send some of it to the equivalent of Ars' Battle Zone. wink

Last edited by jt (2015-01-03 14:15:18)

#15 2015-01-04 14:10:49

MJ313

jt wrote:

While I applaud an appetite for such, you'll have to excuse me if I don't delve any deeper into morasses past.

I gotta apologize... my comment might have come off sounding insensitive. I am not one to partake in schadenfreude and I understand you lived that miserable experience sad... I merely invested several hours reading about it. But I will say (as I stated in my opening intro somewheres), that the stories are what really make this all really fun and interesting to me.  If you had just received a PEx board in the mail after winning an eBay auction, I would probably follow along and feel tangentially involved... but now having waded through the depths of caca that you went through I feel truly invested as a both a learner and cheerleader. smile

I would love to see this work out, for you and the community. smile

Last edited by MJ313 (2015-01-04 14:12:57)

#16 2015-01-04 15:52:41

jt

No apology necessary, all I meant to imply was that I got a kick out of the read up to the point I'd decided to stop (for now) to come up for air. I'll probably finish reading it in small doses.

I've treated my involvement in various fora as a sort memoir in the virtual world of IRL experience betwixt several trips in to the more surreal s of my life long before blogging came of age. That's what forums were back in the day, a huge part of the development of the blog.for those who remember a thread on the Macaddict forums evolving into the 68kMLA revolution, the places like

The stories from the archives of 'the MLA and 'fritter about the communities and the knowledge base developed as they grew are what I love most about living in this virtual world and remaining active in it. I actually hope more folks would get into the story of what's become known as "the hobby" from its humble beginning as  .  .  .

MJ313 wrote:

will say (as I stated in my opening intro somewheres), that the stories are what really make this all really fun and interesting to me.  If you had just received a PEx board in the mail after winning an eBay auction, I would probably follow along and feel tangentially involved... but now having waded through the depths of caca that you went through I feel truly invested as a both a learner and cheerleader. smile

If you want to be involved, it would be much appreciated. See if you can dredge up treasure trove of info morassed in the lost links' of the decade+ Quixotic quest for PEx in the wayback archives. wink

<  hits submit on a half done post to run off to work  >

<  edits a bit more in and lunch a scurries back la  .  .  .  >

Last edited by jt (2015-01-04 20:02:56)

#17 2015-01-04 16:34:32

MJ313

jt wrote:

If you want to be involved, it would be much appreciated. See if you can dredge up treasure trove of info morassed in the lost links' of the decade+ Quixotic quest for PEx in the wayback archives. wink

I'll see what I can dig up smile

EDIT: Removed a comment here that I shall put back once I have a better sense of what it is I am trying to say. tongue

Last edited by MJ313 (2015-01-04 17:22:47)

#18 2015-01-04 20:19:54

macdrone

With the PEX that had a subpart on the AV card, there is a modem slot on the card is it a card on the av card in it?  So the init would be a modem init to use usb maybe?Is there any software known to run on any of these to make usb work?

#19 2015-01-05 03:21:00

MJ313

What I've learned... Hawaii Cruiser sold his board through ebay auction. jimjamyahauk was the winner. It's the same board! ref the end of the thread- http://www.applefritter.com/node/23138

#20 2015-01-05 03:44:10

jt

edit: aha! posting while I was typing! That's one tidbit to add to the TOP and brought up another point. HC said in the OP that he got his PEx from an eBay seller listing two PEx boards. AFAIK, the only two people ever having had two (or more) PowerExpress boards in their grubby little paws at one time were Z, who gave me my six slot board as my cut in the BigAssPlunder after having played with it for a while along with the Paladin KBD. The other would have been the infamous turncoat Ti, who was very likely the seller from whom HC got his PEx. Dunno, did Ti hold back two ProtoPex boards? I'm still not going there. wink

I've also been sitting here wondering why Z and I had always referred to my board as EVT2, when it's clearly marked EVTA? neutral

HC also said his board sounded like Z's PEx Manhattan, so it could be yet another lucky ex-PEx owner. We'll have to find out if James' board has 3 or 4 PCI slots. I don't recall having seen pics of it. Actually, I've yet to find signs of my involvement in some of the PowerExpress topics. I went through a surreality period for a few years. hmm

macdrone wrote:

With the PEX that had a subpart on the AV card, there is a modem slot on the card is it a card on the av card in it?  So the init would be a modem init to use usb maybe?Is there any software known to run on any of these to make usb work?

Could you link to the post or page with that AV Card info? Dunno about USB, doubtful though, didn't USB first ship on the Bondi iMacs? AFAIK, toolbox support for onboard USB would be in ROM. USB drivers for such would be part of the OS install or on CD for a USB card install. I did find a blurb about FireWire being a build to order option for the Beige G3/333 Minitower in the specs over on everymac. Hadn't noticed that before, but I've never focused on beige or PCI architecture until recently or that matter.

Collecting, cleaning up, collating and re-posting or linking to all "known" PEx info in this thread would be the goal of Redux_II. There is a lot of "Apocryphal PEx Lore" around. Some things we'd "thought" we knew or had guessed right has turned out to be incorrect, wishful thinking or silly assumptions, such info needs to be vetted.

A lot of information about the development of the Mac and Apple only had just begun to hit the web when Andy Hertzfeld started the Folklore.org project in late 2003. But again, it's a glorious collection of memoirs, not a definitive historical account of the interactions between the developers or the technological development of the Mac. I got a big kick out of someone taking me to task for my mention of having pieced together and posted eronious info on Mac development without having read the Folklore or asked the participants what was up  .  .  .  I'd done the research and made that mis-determination at least a year before Folklore was ever started. roll LOL!

Whatever, I only wish pics past were were as pixel rich as current tech and bandwidth allow, but recovering them at all will be a great achievement.

edit notice for OP: found and posted a link to Z's first PEx thread PowerExpress up in the OP. I'd missed the link to it in Hawaii Cruiser's first thread while piecing together timeline link set.

Last edited by jt (2015-01-05 05:05:10)

#21 2015-01-05 06:42:20

iMic
Administrator
Website

Since I can't imagine the old mirrors are still active, here's the recordings Captain Z made of the PEx Startup and Death chimes from way back:

https://app.box.com/s/qwkmaek8rg97ov90b5q4 (284KB)

Three recordings in total. One is a standard Macintosh Performa chime with someone (reportedly Gil Amelio) saying "I know that I rescued this company" overlaid. Presumably the "KILL ME" on the end isn't part of the chime and is instead due to a system crash after the chime finished playing. Another is a death chime consisting of guitar riff followed by "KILL ME", and the remaining chime is the standard prototype PowerExpress boot chime.

Resident Professor of Alternative Methodology
Faculty of Macintosh Restorations & Modifications - "It works, let's fix it!"

#22 2015-01-05 13:14:31

MJ313

jt wrote:

Could you link to the post or page with that AV Card info?

This is Jim Abeles' recent sale that was stated to be a PEx (however, I think others may have thought it to be a late Gossamer proto?). In any event, there are some pics of the AV card in the auction. Someone should grab them before the eBay link goes the way of the dodo. smile

Ebay Auction ID: 221639205651
Here's the debate: https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/to … ne/?hl=pex

EDIT:
1. jt, I also think you are correct about HC's PEx being a Manhattan. All signs point that way... which likely means James' board is the very same Manhattan, just in an operational state. This might mean that any ROM dump from him would be unstable or unusable in a PEx tower? Not sure.

2. I think you are also correct about a certain little piece of detritus. Appears said detritus was attempting to hawk a Manhattan board that some on 68k determined was a 7200 proto... then the hawking went to a strange level with the board being depicted being an actual photo of Z's board. wtf smh. http://www.applefritter.com/node/7426

3. Another board-sighting appeared and then disappeared when a fellow by the username kwikdeth at AF stated this:
"Hi everybody! My name is Henry. I was the guy who got the other PEx board that was on ebay. Unfortunately, it's in less of a state than the other one, as mine has no ROM chips in it and hence, just sits there quietly when you turn it on. I havent messed with it in a couple days, but absolutely nothing I tried worked. It powers on, but it would appear that without those two ROM chips in the corner, the thing is useless."

4. It would appear Z had not only the Manhattan (and for a period of time your PEx board), but also, ANOTHER PEx board. There should probably be a note added to the listing post.
per AF user powersurge9600:
"As far as I have been able to determine in both this PowerExpress thread and the previous one on AppleFritter, (http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=apple;action=display;num=1070916360 ), CaptainZ has been able to get the boot chimes on his PowerExpress Manhattan and the EVT2 PowerExpress tower. Both of these motherboards have their PLCC ROMs installed in the lower-left corner sockets. The EVT2 PowerExpress motherboard is actually owned by JT (Trash80toG4). In addition to his PowerExpress Manhattan motherboard, CaptainZ also has an EVT4 PowerExpress motherboard, which does not have its PLCC ROM installed."

Last edited by MJ313 (2015-01-05 16:26:49)

#23 2015-01-05 17:42:34

jt

MJ313 wrote:

2. I think you are also correct about a certain little piece of detritus. Appears said detritus was attempting to hawk a Manhattan board that some on 68k determined was a 7200 proto... then the hawking went to a strange level with the board being depicted being an actual photo of Z's board. wtf smh. http://www.applefritter.com/node/7426

3. Another board-sighting appeared and then disappeared when a fellow by the username kwikdeth at AF stated this:
"Hi everybody! My name is Henry. I was the guy who got the other PEx board that was on ebay. Unfortunately, it's in less of a state than the other one, as mine has no ROM chips in it and hence, just sits there quietly when you turn it on. I havent messed with it in a couple days, but absolutely nothing I tried worked. It powers on, but it would appear that without those two ROM chips in the corner, the thing is useless."

"As far as I have been able to determine in both this PowerExpress thread and the previous one on AppleFritter, (http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=apple;action=display;num=1070916360 ), CaptainZ has been able to get the boot chimes on his PowerExpress Manhattan and the EVT2 PowerExpress tower. Both of these motherboards have their PLCC ROMs installed in the lower-left corner sockets. The EVT2 PowerExpress motherboard is actually owned by JT (Trash80toG4). In addition to his PowerExpress Manhattan motherboard, CaptainZ also has an EVT4 PowerExpress motherboard, which does not have its PLCC ROM installed."

OMFG! Pics from that "sale" were still out there in the weeds of the WWW! big_smile

____PEx50 - EVT4(?) - AFAIK, the only fully populated ProtoPEx in the wild

xmsQ7m.jpg

PS5GVH.jpg

EJBoCS.jpg

<  WAG mode  >

Indubitably a final, pre-production rev. Seed Unit.
Only the PLCC ROMs and and ROM SIMM needed to have been returned to the Infinite Loopiness in compliance with the NDA.

finally feels the disappointed of having been well and truly  .  .  .  >

Last edited by jt (2015-01-05 23:17:15)

#24 2015-01-05 17:57:35

jt

Is that the Beige G3's video subsystem chipset?

Note that the unpopulated subsystems' "box outlines" printed on earlier revs were deleted from the silk screen layer of this rev..

edit: iCrap, my Beige G3 has the ATI 3D Rage Pro PCI ChipSet. hmm

edit: I wonder if one of the things that made Beige cheaper to build was the off the shelf ATI component? Might the Apple AISICs on ____PEx_EVT4 have been far more powerful. Some of the info I've dug up leans me tooward thinking in that direction.

Last edited by jt (2015-01-05 23:28:55)

#25 2015-01-06 17:57:17

jt

I've been trying to figure out it was Ti or Z who wound up with two PEx Boxen to auction? Did anubis never receive his PExBox?

Board footer

About ThinkClassic

ThinkClassic specialises in the maintenance, repair, restoration and modification of Vintage Apple and Macintosh computers. Ask questions and find answers about classic Apple desktops, laptops, accessories and peripherals.