You are not logged in.

#26 2014-07-29 19:10:44

jt

Re: Radius Rocket project thread

Back again: here's the link to a pic of the "massive heat sink" on the Rocket, reference to the System 6/upcoming System 7 RocketWare upgrade. Note performance stats the Rocket posted against Apple's, then current, lineup published the same month in which the Quadra 700 was released on the 21st.

The Rocket was the first "Quadra" to ship indeed! big_smile

http://lowendmac.com/radius/rocket-reviews.html

I'm still wondering about results to be garnered by benchmarking my Rocket 33/Studio Array under 7.1P against the much vaunted 40MHz 840av! wink

#27 2014-07-29 23:26:39

Mk.558

Well I appreciate the input, I'm suffering from a case of burnout from all the work on the Guide. Just getting Telnet done took me three weeks because I've never done it before, nobody said you had to have a telnet server active (like this ...ugh, article) and a number of other things like rcp, the telnet> prompt and so on. All foreign stuff to me.

As for the Rocket, I think it's pretty clear that it is an unusual card. I'm not sure if it was meant to be primarily uses for RocketShare purposes or RocketWare. RocketWare came out first, perhaps because RS wasn't ready yet and they wanted to get it out the door. Most times when you have an 020->030, 030->040 accelerator you will be dealing with some number of issues. I've never had a PPC upgrade card to compare but I'm sure they have issues too. (Just think...80MHz 601...with System 6...if it only could be done.)

I wonder how much worse off I am because there is no heatsink on it. Sure hope there is temperature control on the CPU smile I've been actually avoiding using it once I found out that it is supposed to have one -- don't want to cook the goose.

SE/30 Cap Replacement http://tinyurl.com/mjf24zs
Classic Mac Networking v3.1 http://applefool.com/se30/
"Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing." -oboedad55, ubuntuforums.org

#28 2014-07-30 00:42:18

bbraun
Website

Accelerators with the same, but faster (or more cache, or whatever) CPU typically don't suffer from compatibility problems, although simply from a maintenance and reliability perspective, there's more to go wrong with an accelerator vs. not.  For instance, the 50MHz 030 accelerators for LC and whatnot needed no software or ROM changes or anything.  However, when they moved from the 030 system to an 040 accelerator like the Turbo040, ROM changes were necessary for several reasons, not the least of which being the cache changes of the 040, and with the modified ROM comes compatibility problems.  The Turbo601 is even worse, and is essentially rev locked to System 7.5.2.  The Apple 601 upgrade cards on the other hand are much better supported because of manufacturer advantage.  They essentially were 6100 systems I believe, from the ROM perspective, and the 6100 was obviously supported by OS releases for quite a while.

The Rocket is obviously not like those accelerators, with the onboard RAM.  It ends up being more of a clone than an accelerator.  We end up having these discussions with other vintage computer peripherals, at what point does the accelerator become the computer and the computer becomes a mere peripheral?  The Chameleon for the Commodore 64 being the perfect example.  Anyway, since it's more than an accelerator and less than a full computer, it ends up in this gray area such that in either scenario, it is as invasive to the system as it can possibly be without replacing it entirely.  That's why it is so darn impressive from a technical perspective, and so sneer-worthy from a product engineering perspective.

#29 2014-07-30 02:47:46

jt

Dunno about most folks, but for me, the Rocket was just the right product, at just the right time, for just the right applications at an affordable price.

Like this fellow:  http://archive.info-mac.org/info/hdwr/r … pgrade.txt

I needed all of the Rocket's Processing Power for CPU/CoPro/RAM intensive applications and had no use at all for the programs and hardware with which it was notably incompatible. I wasn't running Mathematica as above or doing 3-D ray tracing in Strata-VISION 3d and gargantuan Excel spreadsheet recalculations as MacUser labs did for benchmarking, but bitmat vectorization programs and Illustration packages can be pretty darn demanding/time consuming in a graphics production environment.

The Rocket broke through the PDS accelerator's Random Memory Access (at MoBo clock rate) bottleneck, making it one hella kluge, if that's how you need to look at it from a product design perspective. wink

#30 2014-07-30 23:35:49

Mk.558

Oh, I thought yesterday. How am I going to prove the benefit of the DSP Booster, if I don't even know how to use the programs!? I had Photoshop 4 at one point, I think, but that was >10 years ago. Never did anything serious with it either.

But I had an idea. What if I made a "Today in Pictures" post instead. Screenshots.

And I also thought about the idea yesterday of a IIci with a 50MHz Daystar 030 accelerator AND a Rocket in RocketShare mode. Can you say...handy?

jt: you mostly ran the Rocket as a parallel computing arrangement, rather than an accelerator? It is pretty spiffy to have a hardware VM, especially a Mac one. I'm told the "other" CPUs-on-a-card, i.e. the OrangePC lot, were pretty slow.

"Linux assumes you know exactly what you are doing." -oboedad55, ubuntuforums.org

#31 2014-07-31 02:57:51

jt

Nope, quite the opposite in fact.

I bought RocketShare in first release well after I'd been using the '33 for quite some time as an accelerator in the used IIx I'd bought specifically as a launch pad/gantry for the Rocket. Just getting the IIx with the NuBus version of the 19" PanaPro B&W TPD was an amazing advance over the SE/Radius16 that came with the MacSignmaker Bundle. Same speed, twice the Ram and 3/4 of a Gazillion more pixels, even if they were still single bit.

The Rocket as accelerator beat the IIx by more than the 70% or so ISTR seeing in some of the benchmarks from back in the day. I don't recall any straight up comparisons of the '33. Some were pitting the '25 against the Q700 as far as I can tell. Matters not, the Rocket made my type of work fly.

IIRC, the used 2300c was my next speed bump and main machine for a bit when Adobe and Quicken dropped support for 68k Macs. The Performa 6360 was a much better machine overall. That one was purposely bought for Sonnetization, Radius was already leaking fuel in an unrecoverable spin when the Steve returned and shot it and all the rest of the Clones down in flames.

Whatever  .  .  .  I tried RocketShare for a while, but the IIx wasn't all that much to share, so I went back to Rocketware/Acceleration very quickly. I'd envisioned having a couple of rockets and the SCSI II Daughtercard when I made my staged upgrade plans, but very little code was ready for multi-threading back in the early Nineties. I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple upgraded AppleTalk with a malice intent to bork AppleTalk over NuBus in order to kill off the Rocket. I suspect that they could have kept that option open if they hadn't had reason to eliminate it when they changed over.

#32 2014-07-31 23:59:07

Mk.558

Why would Apple take such a hard footing against the Rocket? It's not that *awesome* of a card, if you know what I mean (re: numerous issues, like sound not working, networking is a shot in the dark, ...) and I don't really see how it could be a threat to Quadra sales, especially since there were other 040 accelerators that were cheaper than the Rocket, if I'm not seriously mistaken.

Also: Is it possible to run a Rocket...within another Rocket? Say I install RocketShare on Rocket #1 and use that to launch Rocket #2 inside Rocket #1?

#33 2014-08-01 00:20:58

bbraun
Website

I'm not privy to any behind the scenes details of the time, but with how invasive the Rocket's software is on the system, the slightest change to the system software will break it.  That's what I mean when I say it's a hack.  It is not engineered in a supportable manner.  To be honest, it's quite impressive it continued working at all.
That's really why a guide that documented which combinations of versions of various software have what working.

#34 2014-08-01 03:41:52

jt

LOL! The Mac itself wasn't engineered in a supportable manner in that era of sea changes. The move to the '040 and System 7 pales in comparison to when Microsoft 95'd everyone and his brother making that same jump, but it was a trying period nonetheless.

Hell, those rat b@$^@&>$ within the Infinite Loopiness even started to charge money for the OS  .  .  .

.  .  .  fuggedaboudit!  =8-P

#35 2014-08-01 19:08:12

bbraun
Website

Agreed that MacOS isn't really engineered in a supportable manner, particularly in the context of modern systems.  I mean, half the "interface" is just accessing system-global variables directly.  Something that's kind of shocking to modern sensibilities.  But what's so neat is they did an excellent job with compatibility if you used their documented interfaces.  MacDraw for the 128k 68000 processor works on OS9 on a completely different architecture 15+ years later.  Comparing that to modern devices where iphone apps that are supposedly engineered with compatibility in mind, documented exported interfaces, etc. seem to need weekly updates to keep working,  it's all kinds of impressive.  Heck, OSX is what, 13years old now and you can't even run binaries from 10yrs ago on modern systems (PPC->x86, and rosetta being dropped).  Despite MacOS of the era not being engineered in a supportable manner, they still managed to have better compatibility than anything found these days, even if it is supposedly engineered in a supportable manner.
The radius guys didn't follow any of the documented interfaces.  They thought they knew better, and from a technical perspective, probably did.  But they were no longer involved with the direction of the system they were working on.  If they had stuck with making a product that adhered to published interfaces, they wouldn't have made the Rocket, but what they did make probably would have continued working well into the future.  They were smart guys, and the competitive advantage of Radius was the intricate knowledge of MacOS workings.  They leveraged that by pushing the  envelope further than anyone else possibly could.  The tradeoff they made when doing that was since they were knowingly reaching deep into unsupported territory, things were always breaking and needing fixed, and nothing ever really worked as well as it should/would otherwise have.

#36 2014-08-02 01:02:38

Mk.558

I will argue that Mac OS "classic" wasn't a very well designed system past 7.5.

Mac OS 8 is rather pokey on "respectable" 117MHz 603e (1400cs), 100MHz 603e (2300c) and "meh" on a PM G3 266, in my experience. It was obvious by the time of Mac OS 9 that it had to go, and fast. Frankly I'm glad for OS X, and I'll explain.

Mac OS "classic" beyond 7.5 doesn't really change a whole lot fundamentally. Yes there is more PPC native code in OS 8 and 8.5 I think was the first PPC only version, but that doesn't change the fact that it is still not very impressive in the speed department. Not like System 6 on a fast 030 -- that has benefits, but also serious drawbacks because a lot of stuff requires System 7.

The analogy I like to use is a tree. When it is a seedling, it grows somewhat upward. Fine. Nothing wrong with that. But once it grows into a junior member about a meter tall, it's time to start thinking about its future. Maybe this isn't the right spot for a 100m+ tree a long time from now. But pretend for a moment that it starts growing not straight, but at an angle, and it grow at this said angle when it was just a cubit high. At that height, it's not that important, but it *will* be important when it grows to 50 meters plus.

Coming back to Mac OS, the seedling is the old 128K/512K Systems. Getting a GUI on there in the first place is certainly a recognizable feat in itself, although the Amiga did this to a certain extent, as I'm told (I've never seen an Amiga in person, to be honest). But by the time of the 603e generation CPUs it was time to start thinking about 10 years from now -- and yes I'm thinking about a UNIX foundation. I agree with the UNIX priniciples (but the execution is another story, with 50+ distros just for the sake of being different; before Android's fragmentation, there was Linux) and I think it makes a much better foundation than, say...oh...how about Windows?

Windows to me, is a waste of time as far as the OS is concerned. Ignoring all the programs and games (which were written mostly because it was, and still is the most popular overall OS), I can't think of a reason for Windows itself to exist by reason for that it doesn't really do anything specific that no other operating system can't duplicate. Multiple instances of one program? Linux does that. Command line? That's just a shell program really, the *NIX command line is MUCH more powerful and useful. Registry? An absolute mess. Give me Linux text configuration files any day of the week -- yes they're nerdier, but they're accessible through SSH if you need to.

So as far as I'm concerned, OS X was sorely needed. Imagine Mac OS 9 being dragged into this decade as still an official OS from Apple and there you have Windows right there. A tree grown crooked and patched, updated, patched again multiplied by 300 -- and that's before we get to the fact that Windows 7 x64 has no problem eating up ~25GB of data after a full update and SP1 upgrade. I would be ashamed of myself if I was the head of that company -- there's Ubuntu Live CDs which give you a (mostly complete) OS right off the CD, and after installed and updated, 10.04LTS (I really should upgrade soon) only uses about 4.4GB.

Going all the way back to the Rocket, yes I will agree that Radius was a company which leveraged a lot of inner knowledge of Mac OS. The problem with leaning on this understanding is that the OS situation is a fluid environment -- and 7.5 changed a lot of things, and thusly broke the Rocket. Compare to some other accelerators (but are usually limited to the same processor model) which have no reliance on any software element whatsoever. Just plug in and enjoy.

#37 2014-08-02 02:16:23

jt

I really ought to set the IIcx to run under 6.0.8 and give the first of my Rocket Accelerator drivers a test drive.

To tell the truth, I have absolutely no idea when I was dragged kicking and screaming the entire way into the world of System 7. I didn't budge AT ALL until the tunr-up for 7.0.1hit the streets and I refused absolutely to pay for 7.1 so it could bork what was running all but flawlessly in my production environment.

Some upgrade of some program or other necessitated the move to 7.0.1 (with tuneup) on the Rocketized IIx, it may even have been the Rocket Drivers themselves for all I remember, but the SE/Radius16 never set foot outside the comfy little 6.0.8 bubble of its dedicated role as plotter server.

I don't think I budged out of 7.0.1 until I threw up my hands and ran over to Tekserve to glom onto an early production Quadra 630 as a backup machine just before a HUGE production run was to be done under the gun. Heck, I snagged it so early it was running heaven knows what and came with a coupon for a free upgrade to 7.5 or some such, maybe 7.5.5? I'm glad I bought it when I did, D****d sold me the (dealer installation only) TV-Tuner setup with a wink and a nod and it had the Credit Card Remote in the box! SCHWEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!! big_smile

The Rocket-in-SuperIIsi project is on hold now that I managed to get it up and running under RocketShare. The lousy Vampire Video of the IIsi makes the Rocket Window a bit less than impressive, better than SE/30 Res, IIRC and in color at that, Heh! big_smile

I've got the wire wrap NuBus connectors on hand to hack into a pair of PDS connectors that drop the signals down through the floor of the IIsiMoBo, but zero time and less money than that for the next couple of months. Sometime around back to school I hope to have things squared away and mcd has generously offered to do the solder-surgery for me with his expertise, nifty gadgets and laudable level of patience. I'm a friggin' hopeless case when any and all of that. hmm

Having the RCPII/IIsi doing the video duty under the NuBus connector/MoBo's floorboards will finally give me a resolution that'll show off the Rocket's charms to good effect in the screen shots. I'm hoping it will enable Full Screen Toggling, which is grayed out under the blood sucking video output of the IIsi.

Ethernet down under will be a nice touch as well! smile

Last edited by jt (2014-08-02 02:19:15)

#38 2014-08-03 21:43:33

Mk.558

I have RocketWare 1.3.2 on hand, but they're disk images.

I believe we'll need someone with some kind of tool to defeat the floppy disk detection. Even when I write the disk images to 800Ks, it tells me that the disk isn't original.

#39 2014-08-04 03:03:59

LCGuy
Administrator

jt wrote:

Ethernet down under will be a nice touch as well! smile

Oh, right, I see what you did there. I was going to say, "I'm pretty sure we do have Ethernet?" lol

#40 2014-08-04 06:06:55

jt

big_smile

#41 2014-08-04 23:35:43

Mk.558

So I guess the Installer scripts are made by some kind of Installer editor thing made from MPW.

I think I know of one person here who would be ideal for isolating the problem...perhaps a ResCompare patch to fix it? A ResEdit operation?

#42 2014-08-05 04:27:03

jt

I think I may have the floppies from that release, is there any way I should hanclle archiving them?

<  .  .  .  scampers off  .  .  . and back  .  .  .  >

YUP! big_smile

RocketWare

Disk 1: Radius Rocket
on the Label:
(C) 1991__Part No. 825-0358
on the sticker:
___ 640-0145-05
___ Ver. 1.3.2

Disk 2: Network Products
on the Label:
___(C)1991__Part No. 825-0435
on the sticker:
___ 640-0136-05
___ Ver. 1.3.2

Second set:

RocketWare
DISK ONE  -  INSTALLER
on the Label:
___Part No. 825-0817-11 03/93
___(C) 1991
___640-0205-01
___Rev. A

RocketWare
D  I  S  K    -    T  W  O
on the Label:
___Part No. 825-0818-01    03/93
___(C) 1993
on the sticker:
___640-0206-01
___Rev. A

RocketWare
D  I  S  K   -   T  H R E E
on the Label:
___Part No. 825-0819-01    03/93
___(C) 1993
on the sticker:
___640-0207-01
___Rev. A

I'm busy a plenty until I get the place patched back together and get a new roommate, but if you figure out what I need to do to archive them, I'm all ears. wink

#43 2014-08-05 23:34:43

Mk.558

Assuming Disk Copy 4.2 can handle them, which it usually always does, I just image them with that and then binhex them.

Do any of the disks have a serial number on them? My RocketShare 1.5 disks have a serial number on disk 1. I suppose it may be in order to check if the disk images will work properly: I'm figuring there has to be some way of bypassing that disk check!

*pokes bbraun* wink

#44 2014-08-06 03:16:05

jt

I was thinking more along the lines of something like CopyII+ to make "bit by bit" physical copies like in the old days in order to avoid that particular problem.

Another solution would be for me to partition/format one of my remaining Savvios for multiple boot partitions with each flavor of RocketWare and RocketShare for which I have the original disks and Systems on hand and then send that off to you. If possible it will be a while before i can get to that project.

Is that a possibility? Is there a sector requirement rendering this impossible? Is  the system software too stupid to let you choose the startup drive of one of the 17+ volumes have appearing on the desktop of my IIsi?

#45 2014-08-07 01:06:13

Mk.558

I don't know.

The reason I asked if there are serial numbers was because I wanted to determine if they used copy-protection or just serial #s. I don't know why they would care about copying though, RocketWare and RocketShare are useless without a Rocket.

All I care about is System 6. System 7 for me is good enough with just RW and RS. I have 7.0.1 with RW and and 7.1 with RS.

You could probably do a install for any macintosh System 6, install just RocketWare 1.3.2, make sure it works, then fire up CompactPro and stuff the whole system folder (you'll have to be in another OS, like a floppy disk, or my favorite, RAM disk -- System 6 in RAM disk OS FTW forever) into an archive. Shouldn't be more than 4MiB I reckon.

#46 2014-08-10 21:53:39

Mk.558

I was just reading about the legendary Turbo 040 accelerator and it made me think about the Rocket again.

Any chance you could cook up a standard install of System 6 for any Mac and put the RW 1.3.2 on it? I wonder what the control panel looks like...Wait, I've already seen it. But maybe I could cook up anoher System 6 "profile image" for the Guide.

EDIT: I looked up Copy II Mac recently and it's only good for duplicating disks, not imaging them. Apparently the later version (according to Mac Garden) has a sector editor. -shrug- still doesn't change the fact that the Install script checks for FDD authenticality.

Last edited by Mk.558 (2014-08-10 22:00:33)

#47 2014-08-19 12:45:33

Mk.558

There's only one...

#48 2014-08-20 12:05:37

jt

Huh? One what?

I was thinking about your predicament in terms of the installers. Have you contacted olePigeon about how he installed  Rocket**** drivers?

First off: I can make the bit by bit duplicates for you if I have 800k disks. I need to do a backup that anyway from the sound of it.

Second: I've still got some Savvios waiting for homes, I could do the installs and loan you the fully prepped HDD. Playing the (HDD) shell game (IIcx->IIsi) is how I finally got RocketShare up and running on the "incompatible" IIsi. I'll have to get an install set for 6.0.8 from the guy on eBay. That's how I got 7.1 for the IIsi.

Third: I've got the images for 7.1P on a Developer CD and that's the high end for the Rocket, I'll need helpin to making an install set from that as well. I'm kinda low tech when it comes to installations. I'm spoiled by having all the physical media and documentation I've ever really needed or wanted ready at hand, so I've never actually done installations from disk images images unless they've been of the the automagical variety provided on CD installers.

Fourth: I'm not up on early iterations of formattnig requirements from back in the day, never had a drive large enough to need more than the two bootable partitions. Which Systems can boot from what max size partitions on which sectors of a multiple(we're talking dozens of partitions on an SCA Savvio server drive)  partition drive. Can I do variable size partitions for the different OS installs or do they all need formatted to be the least common denominator in order to avoid corruption?

Fifth: if this sounds workable, gimme some answers to my noobish inquiries and start making a list of all the permutations of OS/Driver installations you require.

Sixth: you just gotta love that "install for any Macintosh" requirement for the Rocket! big_smile

Last edited by jt (2014-08-20 12:07:04)

#49 2014-08-21 01:13:54

Mk.558

Oh I was making a cryptic remark about regular old American movies with their usual "one man against an army" plots.

I haven't hooked up with olepigeon, although I thought I sent him a PM about borrowing his DSP card.

I've settled for just a "Radius Rocket in pictures" production. It'll keep my effort low, since I'm burnt out from all the work on the Guide, yet still show all the stuff that you get when you have a Rocket.

First: Bit-by-bit duplicates could work. It would probably be prudent to make sure the duplicates work first. Copy II Mac only duplicates disks, it can't image them. I suppose you could then mail the three 800KiB disks to me. I still like the idea of just installing System 6 for Any Mac on a spare volume, install RocketWare 1.3.2, and touch nothing else. Open CompactPro and stuff the whole thing into a single archive, put some MacBinary II or BinHex 4.0 protection on it, and send it over the wires.

Whichever method is comfortable and workable for you though.

Second, Third, Fourth: See above. Probably easier. No mailing needed. smile

Fifth: Just System 6. I'm happy with just RW 1.5 and RS -- whichever version I have, not sure actually -- for System 7 and 7.1. System 6 is the uncharted territory one. Reminds me to find someone on 68kmla with a Turbo 040 @ 40MHz and ask him how fast it boots under System 6.

Sixth: That's funny, on the IIci I'm borrowing, I did a Install for this Macintosh and just ... installed RW, then RS. Works perfectly fine! -shrugs-

Last edited by Mk.558 (2014-08-21 01:15:06)

#50 2014-08-26 01:45:53

Mk.558

I went down to a local e-recycling place just the other day and couldn't find any suitable low-profile heatsinks. Most were meant for desktop CPUs and were *big* compared to something I was looking for. So I asked if they had anything else in the the back and a cart comes out. A ha! Unused 486 heatsink with fan.

The next task is to get someone with a mill to reduce the size a bit. Shouldn't take ten minutes, if I only knew how to use one. I want to keep the imprinted lettering visible for posteritical purposes. Add some epoxy-based heatsink compound (heard it's kind of pricey) and we should be good to go on the heaviest CPU intensive task we can throw at it.

On the Guide, I only have to test a few more things, so hopefully I'll be able to shift gears over to fiddling with the Rocket. What do you think jt?

Board footer

About ThinkClassic

ThinkClassic specialises in the maintenance, repair, restoration and modification of Vintage Apple and Macintosh computers. Ask questions and find answers about classic Apple desktops, laptops, accessories and peripherals.